Firearm cabinets: safety first
When we have valuable objects, it’s only natural to want to keep them secure. It’s important for us to take care of the things that matter to us, which is why many of us choose to get a safe.
This is especially true if you keep firearms in your home. In fact, there are very strict laws regarding their storage.
Storing firearms: what does the law say?
In Quebec, it’s legal to keep firearms, subject to certain conditions. If you have firearms in your possession—even if only for temporary use—the law considers it storage. The storage of firearms must always comply with the Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations.
Choosing to ignore these regulations constitutes a criminal offense. So it’s very important to know the law and make sure to abide by it at all times!
Although the law applies to everyone, there are exceptions for certain groups of individuals who use firearms in the performance of their work:
- Peace officers
- Members of the Canadian Armed Forces
- People in training to become peace officers or police officers (under the authority of a police force or police academy)
- Members of foreign armed forces that are present in Canada (Article 2 of the Visiting Forces Act)
- Chief firearms officers and firearms officers
Keep your weapons securely under lock and key
Whether you keep weapons at your residence or at a hunt club, they must always be stored in a perfectly secure manner. They should never be loaded and the safety should always be on. The ammunition must be stored separately.
The best way to secure your weapons is to keep them in a locked container, compartment or room that cannot easily be forced open. The optimum solution is a firearm cabinet.
The advantages of opting for a gun cabinet
A heavy-duty safe is the best option for protecting your valuables, including your weapons. A safe offers numerous advantages in addition to protecting your possessions from theft. Here are some of them:
- Protection against break-ins
- Protection from water damage
- Availability of various sizes, according to your needs
- Fire protection with the ability to withstand temperatures of up to 177° C (350° F)
- Availability of digital locks
- Steel and reinforced concrete construction (generally) for added protection
The best firearm cabinets
There are various types of safes for firearms, handguns and pistols. Are you looking for qualified professionals to advise you on the purchase of a firearm cabinet? You can count on the dedicated team at Serruriers Amherst to offer you top-quality products that are sure to meet your needs.